Here’s what you will need to know if you’re interested in becoming a Kumon Franchisee. Read the information below to gain a better understanding of the application process and to determine if becoming a Kumon Franchisee is right for you.
Is there a franchise opportunity in my area?
With more than 2,000 centers, Kumon enjoys a presence across North America and is committed to growth, primarily in more populated, commercial, metropolitan areas. Check Available Franchise Opportunities to see about opening a center or taking over an existing one in your area.
Am I qualified to become a Kumon Franchisee?
If you enjoy working with children and have some prior business experience, that’s a very good start. Kumon Franchisee candidates must meet the following qualifications to be considered for a franchise opportunity:
- A passion for and dedication to education and working with children
- Teaching background helpful, but not essential
- A four-year college degree is required
- Adequate capitalization to aggressively develop your Kumon Center
- Required capital needed to establish a Kumon Math and Reading Center
- $70,000 liquid capital
- $150,000 net worth
- The ability to create and manage a center that effectively motivates children in the Kumon Learning Method and an interest in and commitment to helping children in your community
- The ability to deliver an excellent customer experience while maintaining dedication to Kumon’s core values
- A good understanding of your area of opportunity and strong ties to the community
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A full-time commitment to Kumon — an average of 6–8 hours per business day
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident (Green Card)
Must I have a background in education?
Not all Kumon Instructors have a background in teaching, but most have worked with children in the past. It's not a requirement as long as you like children and are good at working with them. Kumon Franchisees typically have some kind of business background and have decided to apply it to helping children learn. Many have family members who have been enrolled in Kumon.
What is the application and approval process?
The path to becoming a Kumon Franchisee is an exciting journey. We will work with you to complete the multiphased process once you have submitted your application.
- Complete and submit your application.
- Attend a two-hour Kumon Franchise seminar and complete a Math, Reading and Written proficiency assessment.
- Participate in an initial interview via telephone with the franchise recruitment manager.
- Participate in an in-person interview with the general manager.
- Be proficient in math and reading.
- Receive and review the Franchise Disclosure Document.
- Provide proof of citizenship or permanent residency (Permanent Resident Card).
- Provide proof of assets.
- Participate in a more in-depth review of net worth, including proof of funding.
- Process credit background check.
- Provide results of criminal records check.
- Receive final approval and an invitation to franchisee training/Kumon Instructor Development Program.
- Begin franchisee training/Kumon Instructor Development Program.
- This is a thirteen-day training program that takes place at Kumon University in Teaneck, New Jersey, over a five month period.
- Approval of site.
- Finalize lease for approved site.
- Successfully complete Kumon Instructor Development Program.
- Sign Franchise Agreement.
What kind of training will I need?
Kumon trains qualifying franchisees in the Kumon Curriculum and the Kumon Learning Method, as well as business strategies for owning and operating a Kumon Center. Kumon Center owners also take part in our continuing education programs.
How much money and space do I need to open a Kumon Center?
It all depends on where you plan to set up your business, our stated range in our Franchise Disclosure Document is $66,506 to $140,618 for the initial investment. It is recommended that the retail location of the center be at least 1,200 useable square feet. The minimum lease term is 2 years and preferably 5 years. You'll find that Kumon has a much lower startup cost than other supplemental learning franchises.
View Investment for more detailed Information.
How will I work with Kumon, and how will they support my franchise?
Through Kumon branch offices, our staff takes an active role in supporting franchisees in both the administration of programs and center growth and development. Student materials are continually reviewed, updated and supplied to our centers. Both internal communications and customer communications are produced and disseminated regularly. Continuing training, meetings and seminars are widely attended by Kumon Franchisees. In addition, Kumon North America is now embarking on the most aggressive marketing and franchisee support program in its history.
How can I get more detailed information?
For more information, call 855-KUMONUS (855-586-6687), or you can start the application process by clicking the following link for franchise opportunities.
Click Here to View Available Franchise Opportunities Near You
Click Here to Fill Out and Submit the Kumon Franchise Application
How do I get started?
We encourage you to familiarize yourself with Kumon and our franchise opportunities by calling call 855-KUMONUS (855-586-6687) or clicking on the link above. If you think you would make a good Kumon Franchisee based on your interest, background and qualifications — and if there appears to be an opportunity in your area — we would love to hear from you.
What is Kumon?
Kumon is the world’s largest after-school math and reading enrichment program. Kumon unlocks the potential of children so they can achieve more on their own. It allows students of all ages and abilities to build the skills they need to have a richer, more successful educational experience. It is also a place where children are motivated to achieve more by gaining a sense of accomplishment that fosters further achievement, driving them to perform at their highest potential. Kumon Centers are individually owned and operated.
Who we are, what we believe in and how we do business — Learn more about our core values at www.kumon.com.